Bring some romance to your Valentine’s Day with a homemade rose and grapefruit massage balm – easy to make, and fun to use!
This recipe uses jojoba oil for silky skin, and rose-infused coconut oil which is pretty easy to make. Rose essential oil costs a ton of money, so this was my short-cut to get the same effect but for a lot less money.
You will need
- 10g beeswax
- 45ml grapeseed oil
- 15ml jojoba oil (or 60ml grapeseed oil)
- 15ml rose-infused coconut oil (instructions below)
- 8 drops rose geranium essential oil
- 4 drops grapefruit essential oil
- Melt the beeswax, grapeseed oil and coconut oil in a saucepan over low heat.
- Once the oils and wax are completely melted, remove from the heat and stir in the essential oils.
- Pour into sterilised jars.
The rose-infused oil
Dry out two or three roses worth of rose petals. Put them in a jar and cover with oil – use coconut or grapeseed oil for this recipe. If you’ve planned to make this in advance (I never do!) leave it to infuse with a closed lid for 4 to 8 weeks. Afterwards strain out the rose petals and voila, you have rose-infused oil. If you don’t have time, instead of leaving the rose petals to infuse for weeks, cover with oil in a heatproof jar or pan and put in an oven preheated to 120C. Turn off the oven, and leave to 3 – 5 hours, the longer the better. Remove from the heat and strain out the herbs.